It is easy to confuse true feelings with infatuation and lust. But while love has the potential to last forever, infatuation and lust are usually short-lived. So it is very important to know the difference so as not to spend all your time on something that would not last.
Signs like thinking about the person, being excited about the person or wanting to be with the person could also mean you are in lust or infatuated. So to avoid confusion, let us take a look at the crucial characteristics that are peculiar to only true love.
1. Love Is Selfless: If you are with someone and you start to notice that their happiness is becoming (or has become) more important to you than yours, then you just might be in love.
You do things for them just to see them smile, even though you a have to displease yourself to achieve this. With infatuation or lust, you are are usually focused on just what the person can do for you, and you are do not really care whether or not this will make the person happy.
2. Love Sees Character: Being in love means you are focused on who the person is and not what the person looks like or what the person has.
You are attracted to their inner beauty and potential. With lust, you care only about the sexual gratification and looks, while with infatuation, it is basically a matter of hero worship (either for the power or money he/she wields).
3. Love Listens: When you are in love with someone, you want to always listen to them. How else would you know about their likes/dislikes, their dreams, passion, etc?
These are things you find out when you actually listen to them talk and take in what they say. Someone who is not in love might pretend to listen, but they do not actually hear what the other person is saying.
You nod along and smile, but, you are only pretending to care for the other things you hope to gain from your relationship.
4. Love Makes You A Better Person: The beautiful thing about love is that it not only makes you focus on the other person, but you get to take a look within yourself too.
You do not just want the best for your partner, you also want to be a much better version of yourself so you can be the kind of person your partner deserves.
This does not mean you change who you are, this only means that the love is making you grow into the person you were meant to be. You become more mature, you see things differently and you want to be an all-round better person for your partner.
5. When You Are Having Feelings: It is easy to confuse true loving feelings with infatuation and lust. But while love has the potential to last forever, infatuation and lust are usually short-lived. So it is very important to know the difference so as not to spend all your time on something that would not last.
6. Missing The Person: Signs like thinking about the person, being excited about the person or wanting to be with the person could also mean you are in lust or infatuated. So to avoid confusion, let us take a look at the crucial characteristics that are peculiar to only true love.
7. Love Believes: The chance to love also brings with it a chance to believe. Being in love, you believe in possibilities and have faith. You believe in yourself and in the other person. You believe things are always going to work out. Basically, you believe in the strength of your love.
8. Love is Unconditional: Just like love is selfless, it is also unconditional. You love this person, no if’s, and’s or but’s. You take the person as they are and you do not expect anything but love in return.
You do not give ultimatums or promote selfish agendas. The fact that you are secured in your belief that this person loves you enough to always put your happiness first, is enough. The rest will work itself out.
9. Love Supports: Being in love also means you support the other person’s hopes and dreams. When you are infatuated or in lust, you do not necessarily see a combined future so you would not find it needful to give too much of your support.
10. Love is Imperfect: We all know that nobody is perfect, so you should not expect love to be. You should not demand perfection. You should not expect things to always be rosy with no challenges, this is impossible.
You should expect imperfections and come up with ways to solve them. If you run away at the first sign of imperfection, then it is unlikely that you are truly in love.
11. Love Sees a Future: When you are in love, you are not only looking at yourselves in the present, you are also picturing a future with this one person. You picture yourself getting married, having kids, and growing old together. You picture yourselves building a life and living it. You see past the present gains to future potential and you cannot imagine a future without the person.