The former Lagos state governor and the national leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has been put under surveillance by security agencies for allegedly conspiring against President Muhammadu Buhari.‘
The APC chieftain alongside some members of the National Assembly are being watched by security officials over a plot against President Buhari, based on the president’s decision to dump several nominees submitted by some party leaders and political godfathers for ministerial appointments.
There is a speculation that some state governors, party leaders and political godfathers, whose nominees were not chosen by Buhari, have started to coordinate media campaigns and group protests against the president’s choice of ministerial nominees.
Saturday Sun reports that when the list was unveiled last week, many of the party leaders were upset and left in shock.
It is recalled that rather than pick the choice of Tinubu in the South West, Buhari selected former governors Babatunde Fashola (Lagos) and Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti), both who are allegedly the estranged political godsons of Tinubu.
Also, the party could not get human rights activist, Femi Falana (SAN), Prof Pat Utomi and Dele Alake, Lagos state former commissioners for information and finance, and Wale Edun, respectively into Buhari’s list.
Falana had been tipped to emerge as the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, while Alake was tipped as Information Minister and Edun as Minister for Finance.
A close associate of Tinubu, who spoke under anonymity, said that indeed the APC leader was badly hurt by the rejection of his ministerial nominees by Buhari, he would, however, not have a hand in pulling down “a house he almost single-handedly built with his efforts and resources.”
Following the rift over the ministerial list, there is a speculation that an APC leader in the South West who could not push through his ministerial nominees, longs to leave the country soon as to enable him coordinate attacks against the president from his base outside the country.
According to Saturday Sun, a top official in one of the nation’s intelligence agencies leading investigations into the alleged plot, said that a particular political godfather who has been spearheading the campaign to remove Dr Bukola Saraki, the Senate president, has suddenly turned round to be reaching out to senators in Saraki’s camp to mend fences so as to form a joint force to launch an attack against the president.
The official pleaded to speak anonymously, because the investigations were still on going.
He said: “We are following all of these clues and leads including promises by the same person to help crush the criminal charges against a leading Senator. This brand of politics will in no way help the ruling party and the nation. One man must not have his way in all cases and in every arrangement.”
Though the source did not specifically mention Tinubu in the chat, the APC chieftain, however, still fits into all the descriptions.
Sources disclose that the presidency is already bracing up for the emerging development.
It still remains uncertain that the Saraki-led faction will accept the peace deal being offered by the APC leader to support the alleged plot against the president, especially because the Senate president’s relationship with Buhari in recent times, tends to be becoming equitable.
Meanwhile, there are indications that the next batch of ministerial nominees to be named by President Muhammadu Buhari might not be out till December 2015.
The reason for this is that many top chieftains of the APC are unhappy with the president over the first batch of ministerial nominees that was recently released.
New Telegraph reports that President Buhari has made moves to pacify the aggrieved party chieftains and is expected to meet with them as to make necessary inputs with regard to the next batch of prospective ministers.