The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) have stated that the end of Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria is in sight, adding that all known terrorists’ camps and hideouts on Nigerian territory have been dislodged.
The Nation reports that Colonel Rabe Abubakar, the acting director of defence information, made this known in statement while visiting Ima Niboro, the managing director of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), on August 31, Monday, in Abuja.
Abubakar noted that the Nigerian Army would continue dominating the terrorists’ hideouts in the North East so that insurgency would end soon.
“We, for the past weeks, have been in the North East to ensure that we do all what we can as military personnel to quell the activities of these insurgents. So far so good as I’m speaking with you the major hideouts and the major camps of the militants are no more. They are in disarray now, the central command of the terrorists, the center of gravity is no more with them so are scattered all over the place.
“So, what they resort to doing now is one of the characteristics of insurgency where they identify sub-targets to attack it. So, the issue of suicide bombing here and there is not in any way bravery but is a sign of decline in their activities. They are now very week and we will maintain that level of momentum so that they will not regroup again,” he said.
According to the DHQ spokesperson, information is one of the weapons of the Boko Haram insurgents and they capitalize on it to instil fear on Nigerians.
“Insurgency strives on information because it is the oxygen of terrorists, they live by it and survive on it,” he added.
Abubakar said that the media is an important partner in the fight against terrorism. He also expressed assurance that media partnership would help in moving the nation forward.
“Since I assumed command, I felt that I should go round, meet key stakeholders and talk about how to move this nation forward. The essence is to seek the partnership and have a synergy between the military and the civilians. So, I am here to seek collaboration on information dissemination and control.
“And we in the military have identified the media as one of the most important components to partner with in the fight against insurgents. The military alone cannot do it; there must be joint efforts of military and civilian components. Let them know we are all stakeholders in moving our country forward,” he said.
Niboro, in his turn, commended the efforts of the military and assured it of the agency’s support in the fight against the Boko Haram sect.
NAN director called on media to wield its powers with a greater sense of responsibility. He noted that as long as media keeps using sensational headlines, the insurgents would have a reason to continue.
“We are helping Boko Haram with our headlines, if we stop those headlines, Boko Haram will fizzle out because there’s no incentive.
“The Nigerian media must wield its immense power with all so tremendous sense of responsibility because it is the lives of our people that are at stake.
“We must help the government succeed and how can we help the government succeed if we celebrate the wickedness of terrorists on the front pages of our newspapers and on the screens of our television sets,” he said.
Niboro also called for the formulation of a national strategy to incorporate the military, police, civil populace to help end the menace in Nigeria.
Last week, at a meeting with the editorial team of Media Trust Limited, Abubakar promised that the army would meet the deadline given by President Muhammadu Buhari to crush the Boko Haram insurgency.