The governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, has announced the reduction of the number of ministries in the state from 19 to 13; and a consequent reduction in the number of commissioners from 24 to 13.
This is part of the cost cutting measures being carried out by the governor which has already seen him slash his salary by 50%.
The new restructured ministries include:
1. Ministry of Justice;
2. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry;
3. Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Tourism;
4. Ministry of Local Government;
5. Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture;
6. Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources;
7. Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development;
8. Ministry of Water Resources;
9. Ministry of Health and Human Services;
10. Ministry of Education, Science and Technology;
11. Ministry of Budget and Planning;
12. Ministry of Finance and
13. Ministry of Works, Housing and Transport
Consequently, the governor has directed that the former Ministry of Lands, Survey and Country Planning be moved to his office as a department; while the former Ministry of Rural and Community Development becomes a department in the Deputy Governor’s Office.
Also, there will no longer be a ministry of Information, but each ministry will have its own public relations unit attached to the office of its commissioner.