Guinean President, Alpha Conde, said on Wednesday that the country was ready to help in the regional fight against Islamist militants, Boko Haram.
“We are ready to provide any assistance asked of us… in the fight against Boko Haram,” Conde told a press conference in Niger’s capital, Niamey, at the end of a two-day visit.
“It will depend on what our brothers (in Nigeria and neighbouring countries) ask. That’s for them to tell us what they want from us,” he added, hailing the determination of President Muhammadu Buhari to fight against the insurgents.
Last week, the Nigerian commander of a new multinational force set up to fight Boko Haram Islamists pledged to bring an end to their six-year insurgency ‘very soon.’
The force will contain troops from Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger and Chad, with Benin also committed to help.
The 8,700-strong force has its headquarters in the Chadian capital, N’Djamena.
Conde stressed that “whatever the will of Niger or Chad, there must first be a strong involvement of Nigeria.”