President Muhammadu Buhari has commenced a new investigation into all equipment and other logistics bought by the Nigerian Army from 2010 to 2015.
Informed army sources revealed to Saturday Tribune that the eight man panel, headed by a General Tukur Buratai.
One of the sources said: “The panel is to find out the names of the contractors who executed the jobs and supplied the equipment and at what cost.”
The source added that on all the jobs and contracts executed, “the panel will find out which of the contracts were done and those yet to be done and at what level of completion are they now.”
It was gathered that the investigation by the Nigerian Army is quite different from the one established by President Buhari last month while sources close to some ex-defence minister and some retired senior officers said they were worried over the modus operandi of the probe panel.
The military source disclosed that “much of the equipment was either not supplied or is of inferior quality, hence the army chief is determined to get to the root of all the so-called awarded contracts.”
He added that the board will not invite anybody for the investigation, but will go into the records of the supplies and contracts at army headquarters and retrieve all files related to the contracts.
The panel would also find out from the records “at what amount the contract to supply or to build was awarded and how much was paid.”
It is to start probes next week and would tour all the army formations in Nigeria to find out the true position of things.
The army source added, that even the equipment that was supplied to all the army locations in which they are kept would be visited and “the panel will find out the state it is, and from which country it was purchased.”
Also the panel is to look into “if the contractors that executed the projects and supplied the equipment are fully registered with the military and are also specialists in those areas of the equipment they supplied.”