Going down the history lane, the foundation of the first storey building in Nigeria was laid in 1842 and the house was completed in 1845 in Badagry, Lagos State.
History has it that the ancient structure was erected by Reverend Henry Townsend of the Church Missionary Society (CMS).
The structure was occupied by Samuel Ajayi Crowther, the first African C.M.S Bishop when he undertook the translation of the Holy Bible from English to Yoruba. It was also used as Vicarage for saint Thomas Anglican church.
See the photos below:
There is actually controversy about this building as the Hausas in Northern Nigeria claim they had built some storey buildings before this building was erected.