At the weekend, the immediate past president, Goodluck Jonathan, and his family stormed Kenya’s Maasai Mara Games Reserve in two chartered planes.
The Nation reports that one of the planes carried Kenya state security, while the second one was occupied by Jonathan, his wife Patience and two of their children.
The former president arrived at the reserve for a three-day tour to witness the wildebeest migration. He was received by Samuel Tunai, the governor of Narok and the chairman of the council of governors tourism committee.
Tunai said that more than 500,000 tourists from all over the world are expected to witness the spectacular crossing of wildebeest across the crocodile-infested Mara River.
According to Kenya media, the ex-president refused to speak with journalists on his arrival to the reserve.
It was gathered that Jonathan is the second dignitary to visit the reserve in less than a fortnight after the King of Swasiland, Mswati III. Both the former Nigerian leader and the king were booked at the new Angama Mara Lodge at the Oloololo conservancy.
Nicky Fitzgerald, the owner of the hotel, noted that this tourism peak season is different from the past as prominent people from all over the world have been calling for bookings.
“We have received Mr Jonathan, King Mswati III, a Chinese prominent family and we are expecting other royalties,” Fitzgerald said.
He revealed that Barrack Obama’s visit last month was a boost for the tourism sector in Kenya.
“Starting of direct flights between Kenya and the U.S. as Obama promised would really promote trade and tourism,” he added.
Meanwhile, a close confidant of Jonathan has recently revealed that the ex-president has embarked on at least three projects since he handed over to President Muhammadu Buhari on May 29, 2015.